We provide care for children with various rheumatologic disorders.
The field of Paediatric Rheumatology encompasses a wide range of conditions affecting the muscles, joints and bones as well as autoimmune diseases, affecting children and young people. An autoimmune disease is a condition in which your immune system attacks your body by mistake. It can affect one organ or multiple organs at the same time.
Caring for Children’s Health
Some of the symptoms of a rheumatologic condition include:
- Joint pain, stiffness or swelling
- Back pain
- Rash and skin problems
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Recurring fever
- Recurring abdominal pain
Early diagnosis and prompt treatment of these conditions in children will lead to better outcomes to optimise their growth and quality of life.
We provide early accurate diagnosis and holistic care for children with rheumatologic conditions such as:
- Joint and muscle aches and pains, including growing pains, hypermobility syndrome and pain amplification syndrome/fibromyalgia.
- Autoimmune disorders like juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA), systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), juvenile dermatomyositis (JDMS), morphea, scleroderma
- Vasculitis including Kawasaki disease, Henoch-Schonlein purpura, polyarteritis nodosa, Takayasu arteritis.
- Recurrent fevers and periodic fever syndromes
- Joint aspiration and injections
- Use of various immunosuppressants, including biologic therapy
- Co-management of autoimmune conditions affecting other organs such as the eyes, kidneys, brain, intestines and skin
Dr Ooi Pei Ling is a paediatrician who treats children with general paediatric conditions and sub-specialises in Paediatric Rheumatology.
As part of rheumatology practice, she treats children with autoimmune diseases, musculoskeletal inflammation, vasculitis, periodic fevers and chronic pain syndromes.
Being a mother to 4 children allows her to have a deeper understanding of the challenges experienced by her patients and their parents to provide the support they need.